kerri buckley and nanowrimo 2005

Pacific Northwest writer Kerri Buckley blogs about National Novel Writing Month in November, 2005.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Kerri Buckley on Day Twenty of NaNoWriMo

Writer Kerri Buckley blogs about National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo
I have to admit that I like writing more slowly. The frantic pace affects my brain chemistry. On the other hand, I now have the scene structure in place that I've been hoping for the last several years to put together. I'm very happy about that. I have been drawing on a number of books about writing a novel, and I have to admit that I like the Marshall Plan by Evan Marshall. I've adapted it to my own needs. I've divided the entire body of work into three parts (acts), and the first and third acts have approximately one-half the scenes that the middle act does. For my particular novel, I'm aiming for 20, 40, 20. That's about 90,000 words to 100,000. I know I won't be close in November to that word count, and I'm wondering if I will even hit 50,000 words (I now have 27,000 words), but I am so much further along in my novel, compared to October 31. What I am learning is that I should have been more organized, and only experience can really prepare you. I'm also really noticing my characters' quirks, and the landscape and background of it all. The landscape and background are not only symbolic in the novel, it is the same in my life at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home