kerri buckley and nanowrimo 2005

Pacific Northwest writer Kerri Buckley blogs about National Novel Writing Month in November, 2005.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Day Thirteen of NaNoWriMo

Writer Kerri Buckley blogs about National Novel Writing Month
It is day thirteen, and I think writing this novel is the most beautiful thing I've ever done, and one of the most difficult. I'm behind in my word count, partly because I like to rewrite a bit as I go, and partly because I'm a mother who has to sometimes stop and take her children to the places they need to be. I'll just be happy to get a 50,000 word rough draft completed by midnight on November 30. I did make a sort of chapbook-size logbook with all the things I want to include in the novel. I've included a scene outline within an act outline. I've also included a small calendar of November, a page with the title of my novel, a 15 word premise statement, a paragraph describing my novel, story promise, and plot line. On another page is the heroic journey. For more on this you could read The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler, or anything by Joseph Campbell. Then I follow the lead character and the other three whose point of views will be shown and outline their own heroic journey. Wayne Cain also sent me a paper he wrote about the heroic journey in literature, and I will try to post that, pending his permission. The little log I've created has room for the whole cast of characters, the main characters' backstories, and all the things I think are important details in writing a novel. I'm sure the list will grow, but I'm trying things such as :
*including at least one group scene
*including a document
*including a letter
*writing about what I do know
*writing about something I don't know
*including music somehow
*including rituals
* a chart of the novel
* a map of the novel
These are just a few things that I'm including. I want to blog about them, too, because I'm keeping a record of NaNoWriMo. I'm probably going to continue with some kind of follow up to NaNoWriMo, after it is over for 2005. Thanks for reading, and for stopping by. Kerri

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home